Friday, February 22, 2008

Luyi at home

School started proper this week- its quite similar to SMU. Everyone is really on the ball, fretting over project mates, which group assignment to do...the list goes on.

I felt really down on tuesday: the weather was shitty and I refused to get out of bed, because I knew that once i got up the whole routine would begin...looking into the fridge and eating the same thing again..ie..my yoghurt..I have already tried all the different flavours by the way. For some reason I was craving the chee cheong fun with tonnes of chilli near Holy Family at Katong and Wanton mee with tonnes of chilli!!!

At about 11am, Mac and BK barged into my room and demanded that I get up if not I would not be allowed to sleep that night...SO i decided to make some changes. I figured that i was mired in such malaise because i had been eating unsatisfactory food and living in a room with a silly configuration (For example, the table was too far from the ONLY socket in my BIG room, so the charging of my laptop was always getting interrupted when i accidentally touched the wires and my clothes rack was blocking a really nice framed picture)

1. Cleaned my room inside out and moved the furniture around- including stripping the bedsheets
2. Cleaned the kitchen
3. Washed the toilet

I felt so much better after that! So after resting that day, the next day I went out hoping to get some good food and a nice potted plant to beautify my room and cheer myself up. I could only find potted fresh plants..but its no good here. The 2 stalks of roses that I had put in the living room had completely dried up despite the fact that they were in a vase, with water! So I didnt buy any...I did buy some food though. More yogurt and different bread.



Clockwise from top left:

1. Canned ravioli: to be honest i haven't eaten a lot of this- I find it..quite revolting. Revolting Ravioli. However the guys have bought a lot of this to stock up for their 'rainy days' (rainy days = days when I don't cook)

2. This so called english toast is really bad as well. On the 1st day its ok, but it becomes hard as a rock subsequently, so much so that we seriously think it can be used as a weapon if its thrown at someone.

3. The new bread which i bought for myself. Its way better, its multi-grained and softer. Although its more expensive and the guys are not sharing this with me, I think its necessary expenditure. I think all these little things add up and make me easily irritable.

4. French toast. The only thing that the 'english toast' is good for. Why? Because french toast is best made with stale bread...


Today's dinner
I was a bit disappointed because it was rainy and I was really looking forward to some chicken-potatoes-carrot soup...alas the 'chicken parts' bought back by the guys was 4 big chicken thighs (?) that couldnt even fit into the soup pot. So the only way was to roast them using some black pepper paste as the marinate sauce.


Clockwise from top left:

1. The oven. I really don't like the oven. Its as loud as a generator and its SO smoky, I don't why! Sometimes I get so worried thinking what in the world is happening to the food that I squat in front of the oven trying to see what's going on. I rather do that than to open the oven because when i do so, the whole kitchen is engulfed in smoke and all my clothes smell of whatever is inside the oven. Then I'll have to open the kitchen window to let the smoke get out and i have to cook in the cold until the silly oven has done its job with the food.

2. So anyway I roasted the 4 huge chicken pieces and did what Jamie Oliver would do..put some carrots, potatoes and onions in as well...

3. The final product was really good and yummy! All that smoke-fighting was worth it I guess! It would have cost us a bomb if we had ordered this outside!

4. Olive rice- Mum your olives are running out! (They are very precious to me because it makes the rice so tasty naturally!)



No comments: